The Alliance Française of San Francisco, as a community-supported and locally-run nonprofit cultural center, wishes you to have a very positive experience, both as a student and as a member. Please note the following important policies.
The AFSF is a non-profit, non political, non-discriminatory organization operated locally.
Tuition and fees must be paid in full at time of registration. In exceptional cases, two payments can me made with the consent of the Director of Studies. Acceptable forms of payment are check, money order (payable to Alliance Française de San Francisco), or credit card (Visa & MasterCard). When a student’s employer pays course fees, an authorization letter from the employer is required.
1. Enrollment: Registrations are accepted in the order received until the class is declared full (12 students).
2. A minimum of four enrollments is required to open a class. If this quota is not met, students already enrolled in such class will be offered alternative courses, or will be offered a reduced number of hours as follows:
4 enrollments: Full course duration,
3 enrollments: 75% of course duration,
2 enrollments: 50% of course duration.
3. A complimentary one-year Individual Membership with the Alliance Française of San Francisco is given to all students who register for a class that is eight weeks or longer in duration. Membership benefits include borrowing privileges with our large multimedia library and our online library, Culturethèque, as well as discounts to certain Alliance events. Please note that registrations for workshops are not eligible for this complimentary membership, and that memberships are nonrefundable and nontransferable
4. Non-beginner students who have not previously studied at the Alliance Française must have taken a placement test.
Course Cancellations and Changes
The Alliance Française of San Francisco reserves the right to cancel courses, adjust curriculum or change teachers at any time during the session. New classes must reach a minimum enrollment of four students in order for the class to open. Current classes must have a minimum of three students enrolled 24 hours prior to the start date to be maintained. Courses are typically cancelled due to insufficient enrollment (minimum of 4 students), unavailability of an instructor, or inability to schedule appropriate instructional space. If your course is cancelled, you will be notified by telephone or e- mail and given the option to transfer, to receive a credit or to be fully refunded.
Withdrawals and Refunds
1. Class withdrawals must be made in writing, addressed to the Executive Director, Pascal Lerdermann, firstname.lastname@example.org and should include a request for either a refund or a class credit.
2. Tuition refunds are possible during the first week only of an eight-week session and a $50 administrative fee is deducted from all refunds. Otherwise, a class credit, not redeemable for cash, will be issued up to the end of the fourth week of an eight-week session. This credit is valid for 1 year from the date it was issued. Classes attended before receipt of a withdrawal notice will be deducted from from the refund/credit. Students who register during the course of a session are not entitled to a class credit or refund. if students are going to miss from 1 to 2 classes, and they let the office know prior to or at the beginning of the they ca make arrangements with the school director for a make-up class.
3. Refunds are not issued for membership, books and other instructional material.
A non-transferable tuition credit (valid for 1 year from the date of issue) minus a $50 processing fee may be granted to a student who wishes to withdraw from a course, only when the student provides the Language Center with written notice of his or her intent to withdraw before the 3rd class of a session. School credit will be processed based on the number of remaining hours in the course once written notice of intent to withdraw is received by the Alliance Francaise. Written requests can be submitted to email@example.com or in person at the Alliance Française. All classes up to and including the date of the credit request will be deducted from the remaining hours. Students are not entitled to a credit for a course where a previous credit was used as full or partial payment of course fees and for private lesson packages.
Missed classes are non-refundable. However, students who miss a class are welcome to contact our office for a complimentary make up class in another group class of the equivalent level and length in time. Make up classes must be scheduled within the same session and limits of availability. Students must contact the Alliance Française by email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the date of the class in order to have their request approved. Students are encouraged to contact their teachers via email to obtain missed work or assignments. A maximum of two make up classes per session will be accepted.